THE NEW YORK LANDMARKS CONSERVANCY AWARDS 18 SACRED SITES GRANTS TO HISTORIC RELIGIOUS PROPERTIES THROUGHOUT NEW YORK STATE
The New York Landmarks Conservancy has announced 18 Sacred Sites Grants totaling $310,500 awarded to historic religious properties throughout New York State, including $5,000 to Westminster Presbyterian Church in Auburn, New York to help fund a conditions survey.
Westminster Presbyterian Church, founded in 1861 as an abolitionist breakaway congregation from Central Presbyterian Church, completed its Romanesque-revival style church in 1869-70. The church was substantially enlarged in 1885. Auburn architects Hilliger and Beardsley designed the Education Building that was completed in 1932.
Westminster Presbyterian Church reaches about 4,000 non-members annually with such activities as 12-step groups, the Cayuga County NAACP chapter, a Boy Scout troop and regional council meetings, the Auburn Human Rights Commission, the Center for Dispute Resolution, “Warm the Children” clothing distribution, employment counseling, REACH youth and children’s programs, the Q Center for LGBTQI+, an eldercare support group, a prenatal-loss support group, “Ray of Hope” women’s group, and an active prison ministry. The nearby YMCA uses the church playground.
“Our Sacred Sites grantees maintain beautiful and important buildings, but also serve beyond their congregations,” said Peg Breen, President, The New York Landmarks Conservancy. “Throughout these difficult months, they have continued providing food, health and recovery programs to their communities. Our grants will help them continue all their vital work.”
The Sacred Sites Program provides congregations with matching grants for planning and implementing exterior restoration projects, along with technical assistance, and workshops. Since 1986, the program has pledged 1,578 grants totaling more than $14.9 million to 836 religious institutions statewide.
The New York Landmarks Conservancy
The New York Landmarks Conservancy, a private non-profit organization, has led the effort to preserve and protect New York City’s architectural legacy for nearly 50 years. Since its founding, the Conservancy has loaned and granted more than $54 million, which has leveraged more than $1 billion in 1,850 restoration projects throughout New York, revitalizing communities, providing economic stimulus and supporting local jobs. The Conservancy has also offered countless hours of pro bono technical advice to building owners, both nonprofit organizations and individuals. The Conservancy’s work has saved more than a thousand buildings across the City and State, protecting New York’s distinctive architectural heritage for residents and visitors alike today, and for future generations. For more information, please visit www.nylandmarks.org.
Photo Credit: The New York Landmarks Conservancy