The New York Landmarks Conservancy has announced 23 Sacred Sites Grants totaling $256,000 awarded to historic religious properties throughout New York State, including $15,000 to St. Peter’s Episcopal Church in Geneva and $15,000 to Garrett Memorial Chapel in Keuka Park.
“We feel it is very important to help maintain religious structures that provide a sense of history and place to communities,” said Peg Breen, President, The New York Landmarks Conservancy. “Many also provide social service and cultural programs that benefit people beyond their congregations. “
The Sacred Sites Program provides congregations with matching grants for planning and implementing exterior restoration projects, technical assistance, and workshops. Since 1986, the program has pledged over 1,493 grants totaling more than $11.1 million to almost 805 religious institutions statewide.
St. Peter’s Episcopal Church in Geneva was awarded a $15,000 Sacred Sites Grant to help fund stained glass window and roof restoration, part of a major parish hall renovation and expansion to better serve the congregation’s thriving music academy. Designed by Richard Upjohn in 1868 and completed in 1870, St. Peter’s Episcopal Church is an outstanding example of mid-19th century religious architecture. This monumental, Gothic Revival style church is constructed of Medina sandstone. The nearly one-acre church complex is an anchor of the Genesee Park National Register Historic District. In addition to worship, the congregation reaches about 2,800 people a year through activities such as a weekly dinner, youth nutrition programs, music programming, and St. Peter’s Academy, a music program hosting multiple choral, instrumental, and dance classes and performance groups.
Garrett Memorial Chapel in Keuka Park was awarded a $15,000 Sacred Sites Grant to help fund bell tower masonry repairs. Garrett Memorial Chapel was built in 1931 as a memorial to Mr. and Mrs. Paul Garrett’s son, who died in young adulthood, ending the family line. Mortimor Freehof, a New York City architect, designed the Neo-Gothic chapel using Pennsylvania granite, Vermont slate, and elaborate cast stone trim. The stained glass windows were prominent stained glass artist Frederick Wilson’ s final commission. This small, seasonal chapel is a popular multi-faith wedding venue, and also has periodic concerts. Over 5,000 visit the chapel annually.
The New York Landmarks Conservancy
The New York Landmarks Conservancy has led the effort to preserve and protect New York City’s architectural legacy for more than 45 years. Since its founding, the Conservancy has loaned and granted more than $52 million, which has leveraged more than $1 billion in 1,550 restoration projects throughout New York, revitalizing communities, providing economic stimulus and supporting local jobs. The Conservancy has also offered countless hours of pro bono technical advice to building owners, both nonprofit organizations and individuals. The Conservancy’s work has saved more than a thousand buildings across the City and State, protecting New York’s distinctive architectural heritage for residents and visitors alike today, and for future generations. For more information, please visit www.nylandmarks.org.