by Jackson Snaith
There’s a multitude of blues musicians that perform across the Finger Lakes Region, many of them known well within the area. For many, a name that first comes to mind when talking blues is Steve Grills. Grills is a longtime favorite as he has been a part of the scene for decades.
Steve Grills and The Roadmasters are a Rochester-based blues band who tour the state to share their wholesome energy with fans. Much of Grills’ taste and influence can be credited to his father. Among his father’s music collection was Big Bill Broonzy, Leadbelly and Lightnin’ Hopkins, some of the first artists Grills would hear. Through listening to The Beatles, Grills found Chuck Berry. Since then he’s been picking at rock and roll to find its true roots, while uncovering many of the artists who heavily influenced the genre, then himself. His search introduced him to Robert Lockwood Jr., Earl Hooker, Freddie King and Albert Collins.
With inspiration from the true greats, Steve Grills has curated his own, yet authentic sound that is sure to please. Steve Grills and the Roadmasters will perform on August 14 at Steuben Brewing https://steubenbrewingcompany.com in Hammondsport from 4 to 7 p.m.
Other shows to attend in coming days:
August 12 brings us the group titled 78 RPM. They will be playing big band music at Rotary Park www.cliftonspringschamber.com in Clifton Springs from 6:30 to 8 p.m.
August 13 offers a full handful of shows;
- Bill Schmitt and the Blues Masters will perform at Fort Hill Performing Arts Center https://fhpac.org in Canandaigua starting at 7:30 p.m.
- Katy Eberts will be performing at Seager Marine https://www.facebook.com in Canandaigua from 5 to 8 p.m.
- Mikaela Davis with guest Cammy Enharo will play 70s and 80s pop, funk and rock tunes at Lincoln Hill Farms https://lincolnhillfarms.com in Canandaigua from 5 to 10 p.m.
- Paulsen Baker and Chaapel, country, folk, bluegrass and rock band, will perform at Sonnenberg Gardens and Mansion State Historic Park https://www.visitfingerlakes.com in Canandaigua from 8 to 10 p.m.
- The Jacob Jolliff Band, a new bluegrass group, will play at The Smith Center for the Arts https://thesmith.org in Geneva starting at 8 p.m.
August 14 is Brew Fest at Lincoln Hill Farms https://lincolnhillfarms.com in Canandaigua. The event takes place from 1 to 6p.m. and consists of three bands. Felix Free will play from 2 to 2:45 p.m., the Shrimps from 2:45 to 3:45 p.m. and the Tobey Village House Band from 4 to 6 p.m.
August 15 brings bluegrass, old-time, funk, and roots artist Aaron Lipp. Aaron will perform at Lincoln Hill Farms https://lincolnhillfarms.com in Canandaigua from 12 to 6p.m.
August 18 offers singer/songwriter Anne Hills at the Clifton Springs Library https://www.visitfingerlakes.com in Clifton Springs from 7 to 9p.m.