Date(s) - 09/17/2017
2:00 pm - 5:00 pm
Washington Street Cemetery
Join the Founders Square Neighborhood Association and the the Geneva Historical Society in celebrating the completion and re-installation of the Washington Street Cemetery Arch. Activities will include music, games, displays, food and various demonstrations. Good Neighbor Day is free and open to the public.
Washington Street Cemetery is the third burial ground in Geneva. The earliest burial spot was on the site of Trinity Episcopal Church on South Main Street. Another early burial ground was on Pulteney Street, where the old Geneva High School once stood and the site of the new FLCC campus. Graves at the Pulteney Street plot date from as early as the 1790s and were moved to a section of Glenwood Cemetery in 1926 when the school building was built. In 1832 when room in the Pulteney Street burial ground began running out, the Board of the Village Trustees purchased the land for Washington Street Cemetery. The first person buried at Washington Street was Mrs. Augusta Matilda Merrell, who died on September 28, 1832. Eight years later more land was added to the cemetery. The cemetery arch was designed by Philotus Gaylord and erected in 1844. Approximately 2,200 burials dating from 1832 to ca. 2000 are contained in the cemetery . Though older death dates are present these are most likely reburials. The cemetery includes the graves of many locally and regionally prominent citizens (including General Joseph Gardner Swift, the first graduate of West Point Military Academy and author Sarah Bradford) as well as the graves of veterans from the American Revolution, War of 1812 and Civil War.